Tuesday, May 5, 2009

misplaced passions

I can't help but wonder at times why people can't seem to get passionate about the things that truly matter. We went to a hocky game in Waterloo last year where we sat beside an older couple who never misses a game. I've been to rallies where huge crowds of people get seriously crazy about the idea of making a fortune in no time at all. People laugh at me when they ask what sports team I follow and I tell them I'd rather watch cartoons. If you are anything like me, I praise God that NBC and ABC have started posting past episodes of shows like LOST and HEROES on their website, or I might never leave the house. I have just been struck this morning by how out of wack this truly is!

As I lead the final song this past Sunday morning, it struck me as sadly funny that (at least from appearances) the majority of the people looking back at me would have rather been anywhere else than where they were. Here we were singing a song of praise about how we want to sing and shout Hallelujah to the Lord, and people looked as though they were going to fall asleep standing up. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that not everyone is as emotional as I can be, I realize that sometimes Saturday night can run late and Sunday morning comes early, but where is the passion of our beliefs? Our faith should be something that we are prepared to die for, after all, a song I once heard claimed that if it's not worth dying for, it's not worth living for; and yet we can't even muster up a little enthusiasm about it? I wonder if it's just that people don't understand what it's all about. That has to be it and my heart mourns for them. They will never know what it is to fully give themselves to something that has eternal value!

I feel like there is more to say about this but I can't find the words.

2 comments:

  1. I think being passionate takes a lot of energy. To have a lot of energy, you have to prioritize what things deserve to be energized about. I would agree with you that our beliefs should be numero uno on that list. Especially lately, with finals week and bills rapidly approaching, I have been just disabled with stress. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed. Talk about lack of passion!

    Myself, as well as many others, would benefit from hearing some tips about keeping mentally focused on what's most important while physically managing a busy schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been thinking about what you've written for quite some time now. I've always held similar feelings when people read scripture, especially when it's "hallelujah" or praises in the Psalms. The Psalmist didn't write those words with a monotone voice (or pen).

    I think that many, myself included, were brought up in a more traditional church where--"you go to church, sit in your pew, and listen to the sermon." Church wasn't necessarily an interactive experience.

    At our church, it is an interactive experience--because that's what faith is. It's a two-way relationship. I think that it'll be a slow process for people to let go of their inhibitions and let loose. I think that many are comfortable at church, but they aren't allowing their experience, at church or letting God, to really overtake them.
    -K

    ReplyDelete