Friday, April 24, 2009

ready to follow?

Do you ever wonder why you are where you are? Why you are who you are? Why you live the life that you are living? I often wonder how I got where I am, not that I am unhappy about where I am. I love my wife, I love my kids, I love my profession, but still I can't help but wonder about the steps that I have taken down the path that has lead me to this point. What if things would have been different? Where would I be if I would have made better choices? Why didn't God choose to develop one of my other gifts into a profession? As we live out our existence in a fallen world, I really think these questions are natural because all of us stray off the path at one point or another.

In the midst of all this I was reminded of the account of Jesus reinstating Peter after Peter's denial. Do you remember the situation? Jesus had risen from the dead after three days of being in the grave and he shows up on the beach while his disciples were out fishing. After Jesus cooks them all a hearty breakfast, he pulls Peter aside and three times he asks him if he loves him. After the third time of Peter saying yes, and Jesus telling him to feed his sheep, Peter looks at John standing a little ways away and says, "Well, what about him?" I love Jesus' answer here! Jesus says, "What about him? If I want to keep him alive until I come back, I will." And then he said, "You follow me." The thing I love about this is that no matter where we find ourselves, God is calling us to serve Him where we are. You don't have to know where tomorrow will lead you, or how you got to today; the only thing you need to know is that no matter what God calls you to do, you are ready and willing to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment