Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Engaged Christianity

So, two weeks ago we went down to Sea crest Beach, Florida right outside of Panama City Beach for a week long vacation, and for the most part it was good. The weather wasn't all that cooperative but we made the best of it, and the beaches were absolutely beautiful. I would say that the only part of the trip that was frustrating and disappointing was my dad. Here we are in beautiful Florida, staying in an amazing house and pretty much all he wanted to do was lay on the couch, talk on his cell phone, and watch the hunting channel, which I don't even know why that is a channel by the way. It was frustrating because; first of all he doesn't get to spend a whole lot of time with my kids in the first place and so I assumed he would want as much face time with them as possible; and second I haven't hung out with him in forever and I assumed he would want to do a little catch up. But sadly neither seemed to be true for dear old dad. Now admittedly I am being hard on him, but aren't you aloud to do that with family? I mean isn't your family supposed to want to be in deep relationship with you? Aren't they supposed to want to engage you and share their lives with you? It seams as though some family members are just OK with being family in name, and not in any relational sense of the word and as I began to think of this more over the past few weeks God began to reveal something about this to me.

He began to reveal to me how many times in my own life I have done this very thing to Him. Like my dad, I have settled so often for a relationship with God in name only. I have assumed that adopting the title of Christian means that I am one, and instead God wants so much more. Again, like me with my dad, God desires a deep, involved relationship where we aren't just satisfied with him being around somewhere in the background. This is easy to fall into though isn't it? With family it is easy to simply take them for granted and just simply be there, but not really be engaged but in reality this just doesn't work. Again, like with my dad, my kids aren't really going to have any memories of him from this trip because he wasn't really there. Jesus tells us that in the end when we stand before God, he will either say yes I know you, or no I don't, and many people will be surprised at what they hear. Matthew 7:21-23 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

The question is, do you have a relationship with Christ or not, not how much have you done, or how many Sunday school classes have you taught, but do you know Him?

2 comments:

  1. I have been struggling a lot with this lately. We are suppose to be confident in our salvation when we accept Jesus Christ as our savior, but is that enough for Jesus to say well done good and faithful servant or will he say go away you evildoer? Paul says we are saved by grace, but Jesus says the way is narrow. Did Jesus' death on the cross widen the way or will some of us be disappointed when we stand in judgement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The questions you posed in this blog were heaven sent for me. I am needing the kind of revival with God that you are talking about. It's time for me to become a practicing Christian in a deeper, more active way. I often ask Him to reveal Himself to me without really revealing myself to Him. Thank you, Luke.

    ReplyDelete